Building demotion Notice July 03 Website Final 1.1

To send your thoughts/feedback to the Fort Langley Community Association

for gathering for input to Langley Township Council, please click HERE

Or just email to:  info@fortlangleycommunity.com

2019-10-21T00:22:28+00:00

20 Comments

1. Darice Lutz July 16, 2019 at 6:49 am - Reply

The character of Fort Langley is not in danger if buildings that are a health and safety hazard are removed and replaced with well-planned new structures. People come to Fort Langley to make memories in places that are beautiful, among people who are welcoming. History is an important feature of Fort Langley, but not the only one, and derelict buildings don’t serve the past or the future.

2. Glenn Ellis July 11, 2019 at 10:25 pm - Reply

….this is a hypothetical scenario. Sounds familiar…..

If I can not get my development permits to build what I want no problem.

You want the tone and heritage of your community preserved. Not a problem I will move my holdings to a “foundation”. Then I will wait you out.

I will do zero maintenance and let the building become “beyond repair”. Apply to have it demolished on those grounds claiming it is not useable and no one will rent it.

I will fool most people with promises of a “park”. Sod and a bench or two.

Look magnanimous too those who do not look to hard.

I and others are not fooled as to the reality that is being played out.

No approval for any demolishing. Order maintenance of the slum landlord property. Repairs not made use Township contractors and add the cost to the tax bill for the property.

Maybe if the owner ….Eric Woodward ….foundation….can not rent the property he could ask other members of the business association who run successful businesses in town for advise. 👍

• Soo-Jean Yee July 20, 2019 at 5:36 am - Reply

Exactly! Repair and renovate and keep the legacy of these amazing buildings already in the fabric of the Village of Fort Langley!

3. Anthony Kirsten July 8, 2019 at 6:08 pm - Reply

We live in a democracy whereby issues that come to light needs to be resolved by the people in that community. One person should only be allowed to have bylaws spot zoned if the majority of residents agree.

4. Steven Cross July 7, 2019 at 9:52 pm - Reply

This demolition is long overdue. Time to build quality buildings that can withstand the test of time and serve our little village for the next hundred years.

5. Jim Hatch July 7, 2019 at 3:27 pm - Reply

I would like to see what he proposes to replace them with, there is a place in Oregon and I can not think of the name but they have rebuilt the town to look exactly what the old town looked like, but new with the new building codes, so a safer building that looks like the past

• Soo-Jean Yee July 20, 2019 at 5:53 am - Reply

Exactly! If any of the buildings can’t be saved at least a plan is needed that follows the existing village look and feel and the heritage conservation guidelines rather than trying to change it. Other buildings just completed in the village are doing it and sticking to the rules.

6. George Otty July 6, 2019 at 5:22 am - Reply

An awesome example of one way it can be done? Look no further than right across the street from the Lamplighter restaurant that is one of the dozen or so buildings affected by this request for a Heritage Alteration Permit to demolish them. I’m speaking of Beatniks Bistro.
    The owners bought a building that was built in 1933 that had spent much of it’s recent life abandoned and not looked after until they bought it from what I remember. They even went out of the way to use as much of the original material as possible in the rebuild and even returned the windows to what would have been original material and received a Conservation Award for the work they did. I’m assuming it did not cost them tens of millions or even millions. I’m assuming that many years later Beatniks seems to be doing fine or even better than fine? I guess I’m just suggesting that maybe it can actually be done based on others doing it. No end of examples out there, I would imagine.
    Point being you don’t need to demolish heritage to have success and a lively, vibrant village. You just have to do it.

7. James A Badger July 5, 2019 at 9:20 pm - Reply

go down to the Fairhaven part of Bellingham to see what fort langley should be shooting for.

• Jim Williams July 15, 2019 at 3:43 pm - Reply

Also agree with your statement. Fairhaven is one of the most wonderful places in the North West. It has a combination of old and new but is always moving forward.

• George Otty July 20, 2019 at 5:57 am - Reply

Yes, Fairhaven is a wonderful town. Except of course it is not Fort Langley and it’s a U.S. town. I don’t think I’d agree with modeling new buildings in Fort Langley after a U.S. town that has completely different styles of building. Stone and brick is not what Fort Langley was near the turn of the century (or any time since until the past couple years).

• Soo-Jean Yee July 20, 2019 at 5:46 am - Reply

From what I’m seeing it’s mostly brick and stone buildings in Fairhaven. Fort Langley has always been wooden structures throughout it’s history. Bringing in brick and stone is more like Yaletown. No disrespect but if I liked that look I’d go to Fairhaven or Yaletown. It maybe a wonderful place to visit as you say and I may visit there but I love Fort Langley and choose to live in this village because it is a village and always has been. Hoping it always will continue to be the the vibrant and lively village it still is today.

8. Steven Biersteker July 5, 2019 at 4:51 pm - Reply

It is a historical area but these are not historical buildings. I fully support the demolition of these buildings with the exception of “say cheese”. They are and have been a health and safety hazard for some time and no longer contribute to the charm of the Fort. New things in their place will improve and push Fort Langley forward rather than keeping it stagnant. Think of all the fantastic new establishments that make Fort Langley awesome. Can you imagine the Fort without Bedford Landing? I think it is very unreasonable to expect a property owner to keep decrepit buildings from the mid 1900’s.

• Jim Williams July 15, 2019 at 3:41 pm - Reply

I agree with your statement. Jim Williams

9. Tara Hawkins July 5, 2019 at 3:44 pm - Reply

There needs to be some sort of compromise. If the buildings are as derelict as they claim(which is entirely possible as they are old and may not have been well cared for) then they may need to come down. But what is put in their place needs to fit with the character and feel if our historic town, not be a modern high density building that turns our quaint little town into another Yaletown. Perhaps save the shop fronts and create new buildings behind them.

10. Ang Fillardeau July 5, 2019 at 3:03 pm - Reply

I think it is so sad…. I agree with the other 2 that have commented.
    I do not like the change.

11. Karen Rodgers July 5, 2019 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Preserve what you can but if you can’t then make sure whatever replaces the buildings fits with the character of Fort Langley. Change is hard.

12. Leslie (Coates) Ritchie July 5, 2019 at 3:28 am - Reply

My question is way would you come to Fort Langley with the intention of tearing done and changing what was once a quaint village. It was considered a jewel in the Fraser Valley. My Father came to Fort Langley around 1936, after the war he married and raised 5 children in this special place. As a child growing up in Fort Langley everyone knew each other we were a community. I lived 67 years in Fort Langley raised my 3 children as did some of my siblings, and so have their children. ,Through the years we expect some change but not all change is good. Tearing down buildings that are still of use in the community is uncalled for. By boarding them up the individual (Eric Woodward) has made our town look and fell horrible. Who wants to walk down a sidewalk that is all boarded up.. I have to ask myself did Eric Woodward run for council with this mind after all he has only been in office since October 2018, did he somehow think he would have an easier time getting this passed since he is on the township council, we all know from the past when it didn’t workout for him last time (corner of Mary & Church) how he behaved. My opinion is to restore heritage buildings, merchants loved being in older character buildings and people enjoy walking amongst them visiting and buying when they return to visit.

• Soo-Jean Yee July 20, 2019 at 5:33 am - Reply

I totally agree with you Leslie. When you buy a building in a heritage area you shouldn’t be trying to tear them all down. This is the Birth Place of B.C. and respect needs to be foremost in your mind if you move here to live or run a business. Moving forward doesn’t mean you should forget and do away with the past, you should respect it and honour it. I’ve heard a few people say that they moved here hoping to see the place become a Yaletown like area but this is not Yaletown and should not be. If someone decided to buy up most of Yaletown and turn it into a totally different environment you’d have an uproar. My family arrived in Canada in 1919 as immigrants and we built a wonderful building fitting to the small town we came to and ran it for over 40 years until it closed in 1985. To this day it’s still the same wonderful building that has been well kept by the current owners. It can be done.

13. Sara Knapp July 4, 2019 at 6:36 pm - Reply

Really astounded to see that the heritage of Fort Langley is at risk. We have very few places in the Metro area which reflect the early settlement/colonial era of British Columbia. Fort Langley business district is a draw for tourists and people like me who visit, shop, walk along the river, and eat in the local restaurants. Part of the charm of Fort Langley is the sense of going back in time. The wealth of buildings, cemetery and city hall are the ambience.
    I would also imagine that keeping business lease costs low is easier in older buildings, low cost encourages local business, artists, speciality stores. Uniqueness that creates a thriving community that can draw from all of a Metro. I came a few times for the Fort but go frequently for local shops and restaurants because of the “Old Town” feel.
    Lots of places preserve their heritage successfully and even create further draws. Sacramento has both a Fort and an Old Town, there is a place called Ferndale in California that pulls us off the highway every time that is about the same size as Fort Langley.
    The housing that is by the river was fantastic because it honoured the older buildings and because of that the values of that real estate is well supported if you allow the shopping district to devolve into same as everywhere I think your community becomes less distinct, less special, and may kill the neighbourhood feel of the business district.
    Frequent visitor to the area at least three times a month. Wish you the best.